Friday, March 14, 2008

Weekly Report, Week One

Memorization: Name and Birthday (mostly a review)
Bible: Creation of the World story, AWANA verse
Language Arts: 100 EZ Lessons 22(done),23,24,25,26 and do letter work for M and S
Science: Do the "Catch a Rainbow" experiment
Art: Q-Tip Painting "Try to paint a Rainbow"
History/Geography: Talk about where we live and look at it on the map. Talk about where other family members live and look it up on the map.
Reading: I got some letter M and letter S books from the library, so we're going to read those this week, and Price and Daddy are continuing to read The Chronicles of Narnia. They have finished The Magicians Nephew and have only one chapter left in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. So tomorrow they will start The Horse and His Boy.

Books for the Week:

Disney's Monsters, Inc.
Green Eggs and Ham
One Monkey too Many
Mouse in the House
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Mess Monsters
If you Take a Mouse to the Movies
Skunks!
Sequoyah
Itsy Bitsy, The Smart Spider
Sally Goes to the Mountains
The Aesop for Children

Outings/Other Activities: Monday (Chuck E. Cheese with Playgroup) Wednesday (Bible Study) Thursday (Gymnastics & Maundy Thursday Service) Friday (Good Friday Service) Saturday (Resurrection Celebration with Home school Group) Sunday (Easter)
Monday: We woke up this morning around 7:00. We made green eggs for breakfast, and although he thought they looked "yucky" he did taste them, and ended up eating almost all of them. We read the bible story and did his AWANA verse at breakfast, then did our lesson 22 in 100 EZ lessons. He cut out some M words and glued then on another paper. We tried to glue rice onto a big letter M, but we couldn't get it to stick. I think we'll stop using the rice. He read words today on the board, and seemed to like the new way of doing the lessons a lot. We read Monsters, Inc., Green Eggs and Ham, Mess Monsters, and If You Take A Mouse to the Movies. Price and Daddy have read two chapters of The Horse and His Boy and they'll do chapter three tonight.
Tuesday: I guess I'm going to have to get more books for next week. I thought I had enough books to read a few a day and then be done, but we're more than half way through our books, and we've only done it for two days. He wants me to read books to him ALL the time. I don't want to say no, so we just keep reading. Today during breakfast we went over his letter sounds and read A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mouse in the House. I had to tell him that we couldn't read anymore until after his preschool. So he got dressed and I took him to school. Since Saturday was his birthday, they let him pick snacks today, and he picked pizza. Wesley and I went to school and ate snack with him and then got to stay for playtime also. When we got home we read One Monkey too Many during lunch, and then went over his letter sounds more. He did his word reading on the board, then we did our Rainbow experiment. It didn't work like I thought it would, but I think that's because I didn't use the right kind of dish soap. We still have to read his story and write a couple of letters, and then we'll be done.
Wednesday: We don't have much school planned on Wednesday's because we have bible study from 9:00-11:30. We did our 100 EZ lesson, and read a little. We actually didn't have any more M books to read because we've read them all, so we read a couple of Aesop's Fables that have M words in the title. He seemed to like them because they are all really short, so he wanted me to read a lot of them. We didn't have time, but I'm glad he liked them.
Thursday: Price had school today, and Ron is off. Today is art day, and since we made a rainbow for our science project this week, we did Q-tip painting and tried to paint rainbows. After we finished painting the rainbows, Price painted Darth Vader while I read a few books to him. We read Seven Spunky Monkeys, Skunks!, and Itsy Bitsy, the Smart Spider. After we finished reading he did some word reading on the board. We learned the letter f today. We had fun today.
Friday: Today was a weird one, but I did discover that Price can do school even if he's naked! (long story). We read the last of the S books, Sequoyah, Sid and Sam, Sam and the Firefly, and Sally Goes to the Mountains. He really loves having books read to him, so I'm hoping his love of reading will continue when he starts reading himself. He did much better with his word reading today. He knows the sounds of the letters, and he can say them individually, but when he starts to put them together to "decode" the word, he sometimes can't hear the word. It's hard to explain without sound, but he says c and at, but when he puts them together... he hasn't been able to hear the word cat... Today, it all changed and clicked. He was reading words after the first sounding, and he loved it. He read on just by telling me the two sounds. I think he's really doing great. I have to go back to the library because I didn't get as many books as I thought I got for the letter A. We'll be finished with those books by Tuesday. Overall, this week was great and stressfree, and I can't wait for next week.

No comments: